As I strive to embed Indigenous voice into my classroom environment, I have been collecting and reading books by Indigenous authors and illustrators. I have been purchasing these books from GoodMinds, an Indigenous-owned bookstore that is local to me.
Here is a (non-comprehensive) list of some of my favourite books that I’ve read to my students (with affiliate links):
Books by Indigenous Authors
- It’s a Mitig by Bridget George
- On the Trapline by David A. Robertson
- We Are Water Protectors by Carole Lindstrom
- The Girl and the Wolf by Katherena Vermette
- Treaty Words by Aimée Craft
- We All Count by Jason Adair (Ojibway) / We All Count by Julie Flett (Cree)
- My Heart Fills With Happiness by Monique Gray Smith
- Nibi’s Water Song by Sunshine Tenasco
- Fry Bread by Kevin Noble Maillard
What are your favourite books by Indigenous authors? Let me know in the comments!