Literacy Activities: Pick it! Build it! Write it! is a hands-on and engaging literacy activities that will reinforce letter and sight word recognition and formation.
Finding literacy centers that can be used all year long, and can be easily differentiated. I came up with these work mats to make my kindergarten centers easy and engaging.
The numbers version of these mats were a hit, so I knew these would be a perfect alphabet activity for my class.
Pick it! Build it! Write it! includes 3 simple work mats that can be used in several different ways.
- Students can pick a letter, build it, and write it. You can use a variety of materials for the “build it” parts. Any of your loose parts would be fun!
This activity pack comes with all the letter cards in two different versions: with just the letter, or the letter and the picture.
2. The next version of this work mat has students building sight words. The 40 Pre-Primer Dolch sight words are included, and there are also a few blank cards that you can use to write in your own sight words.
3. The last version in this set also works on sight words, but encourages students to use the sight word in a sentence.
centers in kindergarten
If you want to learn more about how I use activities like these in my classroom, check out my post My Ultimate Guide to Kindergarten Centers. I discuss everything that I do in my classroom and give you all my tips and tricks.
For some more engaging and fun literacy centers, check out these posts:
- Sight Word Laundry Literacy Center
- Popsicle Stick Letters
- Pineapple Literacy Activity
- Sight Word Play-Based Centers
I love how so many different levels are included in this simple activity, and that you can differentiate it for all the students in your classroom. It is available now in my store:
Subscribe to my newsletter to get weekly ideas for your classroom: